Description of the Parish and Communities
Harleyford - is located on a most beautiful stretch of the river Thames and features a Grade 1 listed Georgian manor house that was built by the Clayton family in 1753. Parts of the grounds are attributed to the landscape designer Capability Brown.
In the early 1950’s Harleyford Estate was sold and now contains a marina with permanent moorings, a golf course and holiday homes. The manor house was fully restored in 1989 and is now used for commercial purposes.
Bovingdon Green - is a small hamlet with an award winning pub, the Royal Oak. A past famous resident living just north of this area was the author Jerome K. Jerome who wrote the book ‘Three Men in a Boat’. He lived in Monks Corner, a beautiful listed building.
Marlow Common – is an area of beautiful beech woodland. The Common has one of the most unique and complete set of trenches which were dug during the first world war for training purposes to prepare troops before they embarked for France.
Seymour Plain – is a small development in the east of the parish between Marlow and Marlow Bottom. In 2007 the local people voted to stay within Great Marlow Parish Council as they felt more aligned with the rural community of Great Marlow rather than the suburban one of Marlow Bottom. One notable house in this area is Seymour Court, home of Thomas Wethered of the famous Marlow Brewery family.
Munday Dean – is a lovely quiet lane, winding along a beautiful rolling valley which is one of the prettiest in the Chilterns. An old workhouse, which was built in the 18th century and is now a listed building, is situated at the beginning of the lane.
Booker, Clayhill and Claymoor
Although most of Booker is within High Wycombe area, south of the M40 falls within Great Marlow and Booker Airfield is the main area of employment in the parish.
Originally farm land, the airfield was developed in the 1930‘s as an aviation school. In 1941 it became the Booker Flying Training School for RAF Booker during WW2. In 1965 the airfield was used for the filming of “Those Magnificent Men In their Flying Machines”.
When decommissioned, ownership passed to Wycombe District Council, its name then changed to Wycombe Air Park. The airfield now has a gliding centre, a flying club, flight training, air taxi services, helicopter flight training and maintenance hangers together with associated aviation companies.
The new Rolls Royce 300 training facility opened at Wycombe Air Park on 6th October 2010. This is the only RR engineering facility in Europe and only the second in the world with the capability to train engineers on the Rolls Royce 300 engine, used to power the very latest R66 helicopters. Until 1977 Clayhill and Claymoor housing estates still housed RAF personnel from Dawshill and Naphill command centre. In 1979 the Air Ministry sold both estates as private housing.
High Heavens – The landfill site of High Heavens is under further development as a waste transfer station.
The Parish Council has a representative on both the High Heavens and Wycombe Air Park consultative committees ensuring that local people’s needs are considered.